East Lothian sightings June 2016

Create a new topic with news of your recent butterfly sightings and first for year dates

Re: East Lothian sightings June 2016

Postby Christie » Mon 27 Jun 2016 07:45

Speckled Wood in my garden in North Berwick yesterday 26 June.
Christie

Postby NickMorgan » Mon 27 Jun 2016 13:46

Christie wrote:Speckled Wood in my garden in North Berwick yesterday 26 June.

Thanks Christie. I have been concentrating my efforts on trying to find new sites around Gifford and Pencaitland, and haven't had much luck finding Speckled Woods in the sites where they have been over the last few years. Each time I have been along the River Tyne Path it has been cloudy and so far I haven't seen them in Balgone or Binning Wood. I will be cutting the River Tyne Path on Thursday, so I will keep my fingers crossed for some sunshine.
NickMorgan

Postby wgell » Mon 27 Jun 2016 18:45

Yesterday was the first chance in a while I've had to go out looking for butterflies due to the rubbish weather and whatnot. Took a walk around Danskine Loch. Stunning Foxgloves on show there after the tree felling last year. Lots of whites flying about. Hard to tell if they were GV Whites, Large Whites or female OTs they were very active but I definitely saw good numbers of GV Whites and OTs. Large numbers of Silver Y moths too and lots of smaller white moths.

Also spotted my first Painted Lady of the Season but despite my best efforts it refused to let me anywhere near it.
wgell

Postby jpgn » Tue 28 Jun 2016 15:41

2 Common Blues, 3 Small Heaths and 10+ Ringlets at Luffness Links Quarry during some weak sunshine this morning

Jim
jpgn

Previous

Return to Butterfly News