3 moths that I cannot ID - please help

If you have seen a Butterfly or Moth you can't put a name to then post a photo of it here and we'll try and identify it for you.

3 moths that I cannot ID - please help

Postby kitley » Tue 03 Jul 2018 10:23

Hello,

I live in the Pentlands and have been out for a couple of nights with my first trap (LED lamp) last week. I've managed to ID most of the 13 species I've caught so far but 3 are eluding my moth book and google skills.

- in pic1 I think there are dark and dusky brocades but I am unsure of the ginger one - is it a small square spot?
- in pic 2 it looks like a small wainscot or some type of swift? it is about 15mm I'd guess. I can't find anything with the same spot pattern though.
- in pic 3 I have no idea where to even begin. it was pretty big, more than 20mm I'd guess

any advice would be great!
thanks
Attachments
id3.jpg
id3.jpg (50.42 KiB) Viewed 67 times
id2.jpg
id2.jpg (25.59 KiB) Viewed 67 times
id1.jpg
id1.jpg (33.52 KiB) Viewed 67 times
kitley

Re: 3 moths that I cannot ID - please help

Postby MarkCubitt » Tue 03 Jul 2018 19:00

Hiya

Great to hear of some trapping in the Pentlands :-)

The bottom picture has two Dusky Brocades, an Ingrailed Clay and a Dark Arches. The middle one is one of the forms of Map-winged Swift. The top one looks like a caddisfly species, but don't know which one.

Could I ask that you crop future pictures to close to the size of the moths before uploading? They end up being quite small to see with all of the peripheral area in the photos?

Best wishes
Mark
MarkCubitt

Re: 3 moths that I cannot ID - please help

Postby kitley » Tue 03 Jul 2018 20:53

Dear Mark,

Huge thanks for this! I had wondered about an ingrailed clay but thought they were bigger. Sort of good to know I was nearly on the right lines! Caddisfly explains my total failure at ID'ing it, and it must've been a bit off course or undertaking an overly adventurous dispersal to end up in my garden...

Sorry about the pics - I have them cropped in a (geeky) pdf spreadsheet but couldn't upload that, so stupidly I just uploaded the originals. Not trapped for a few nights to give the moths a break but trying out the front garden this evening.

thanks again.
kitley

Return to Identification queries