Unidentified coastal caterpillar

If you have seen a Butterfly or Moth you can't put a name to then post a photo of it here and we'll try and identify it for you.

Unidentified coastal caterpillar

Postby philcolvend » Tue 12 Jun 2018 10:45

Hello, Yesterday I observed this caterpillar on the Rockcliffe to Sandyhills coastal path, in Galloway. I have searched many websites and books but I cannot identify it. I think it may be a moth caterpillar. The only image of it I could locate was on a site where a chap on the Dalmeny coast found one in 2013 and was seeking identification : https://www.gardenstew.com/threads/cate ... ack.29991/ Someone thought it was a tent caterpillar but it does not appear to be. I think it may be significant that both the caterpillars were found on the Scottish coast? Can anyone id this please?
Thanks,
Philip.
Attachments
caterpillar gutchers DSC_8701.JPG
caterpillar gutchers DSC_8701.JPG (36.23 KiB) Viewed 444 times
philcolvend

Re: Unidentified coastal caterpillar

Postby MarkCubitt » Tue 12 Jun 2018 19:25

Normally a one in a thousand chance of me identifying a micro moth caterpillar, but I have seen this before and think it is Depressaria Daucella.

Mark
MarkCubitt

Re: Unidentified coastal caterpillar

Postby philcolvend » Tue 12 Jun 2018 22:00

Hi Mark, Many thanks for the really fast i.d., I would never have found it, delighted. Very striking caterpillar and very plain moth! Thanks, Philip.
philcolvend

Return to Identification queries