Pugs again

If you have seen a Butterfly or Moth you can't put a name to then post a photo of it here and we'll try and identify it for you.

Pugs again

Postby DonMatthews » Mon 07 May 2018 19:38

I'm aiming to work harder on pugs this season, rather than simply putting many of them into the 'too difficult' category. Would I be anywhere near the mark in identifying the attached (trapped last night) as two Brindled Pugs and one Golden-rod Pug, or are the photos too poor for identification?

Don
Attachments
Brindled Pug_1.jpg
Brindled Pug_1.jpg (67.39 KiB) Viewed 202 times
Brindled Pug_2.jpg
Brindled Pug_2.jpg (32.38 KiB) Viewed 202 times
Golden-rod Pug.jpg
Golden-rod Pug.jpg (24.99 KiB) Viewed 202 times
DonMatthews

Re: Pugs again

Postby MarkCubitt » Tue 08 May 2018 20:05

Yes, I think so. It helps to have photos directly above the moth to get wing shape. The photos are slightly blurry too - was it quite dark when the photos were taken.
MarkCubitt

Re: Pugs again

Postby DonMatthews » Thu 10 May 2018 10:30

Thanks, Mark. I've been trying to improve my photography but so far not with wholly satisfactory results. I'm trying to take photographs from directly above pugs so as to properly capture the wing shape - but the moths don't always co-operate! In the past I've used flash to freeze any inadvertent movement but that affects the perceived colours. Also, if the photo is taken from above there tends to be a slight reflective shine on the wings. Two of these photos were therefore taken in natural light but they came out darker than expected and although I made them lighter in subsequent processing, I didn't take this far enough with the Golden-rod Pug photo. Still on the learning curve!

Don
DonMatthews

Return to Identification queries