Three moths

If you have seen a Butterfly or Moth you can't put a name to then post a photo of it here and we'll try and identify it for you.

Three moths

Postby DonMatthews » Wed 20 Sep 2017 11:18

A better trapping night last night, with 12 species in or near the trap. Three were new to me though and could do with confirmation (or otherwise!).

This first one initially looked like Light Arches but isn't quite right and now I'm thinking Pale Pinion. Is there a better identification?
possible Pale Pinion.jpg
possible Pale Pinion.jpg (36.93 KiB) Viewed 1254 times

I thought the second was a pug but have switched to Small Dusty Wave. Wing length was 9 mm. Unfortunately it flew when I tried to get a better photo!
possible Small Dusty Wave.jpg
possible Small Dusty Wave.jpg (65.25 KiB) Viewed 1254 times

The third is probably one of those problem Epirritas and a melanic to boot. Wing length was 14 mm. November Moth seems most likely in a lowland garden habitat in September but I suspect it's impossible to be certain. Of course it could be something totally different.
possible November Moth.jpg
possible November Moth.jpg (75.6 KiB) Viewed 1254 times

Don
DonMatthews

Re: Three moths

Postby MarkCubitt » Wed 20 Sep 2017 19:08

Hi Don

On the first one you need to look at the shape first which should rule out Pale Pinion. It is a Bulrush Wainscot.
The second does look like Small Dusty Wave.
The last one looks more like Common Marbled Carpet to me?

Mark
MarkCubitt

Postby DonMatthews » Wed 20 Sep 2017 20:05

Thanks, Mark. I missed the illustration of the female Bulrush Wainscot in Waring and Townsend. You could well be right about moth no. 3 - it'll go down in my record as 'unidentified'.

With regard to the Small Dusty Wave, I found it again in the house a few minutes ago and managed another photo before releasing it. Does it still look like that species?
Small Dusty Wave 2.jpg
Small Dusty Wave 2.jpg (55.98 KiB) Viewed 1247 times

Don
DonMatthews

Postby MarkCubitt » Wed 20 Sep 2017 20:20

Yes, I'd say so.
MarkCubitt

Postby DonMatthews » Thu 21 Sep 2017 09:17

Great - that's two new species for my garden list. Going by the online maps, the Small Dusty Wave could be a new record for NS98 as well.

Don
DonMatthews

Return to Identification queries