Unidentified larva

If you have seen a Butterfly or Moth you can't put a name to then post a photo of it here and we'll try and identify it for you.

Unidentified larva

Postby MalcQ » Sat 23 Jun 2012 14:40

Found this spider with its lunch at John Muir Country Park. The larva was about 1cm long. Any ideas?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/callmack/7 ... hotostream

thanks,
Malc Q
MalcQ

Re: Unidentified larva

Postby IAC » Sun 24 Jun 2012 12:54

Hi Malc,
Its a Sawfly larvae...I cannot tell you which though. I have seen this species on herbacious plants, they tend to sit in a curled leaf to feed which they seal of with a few silky strands. Quite often see them on Nettles or Scabious. I must have a mooch around for more info on this particular insect...maybe I will get a better id.....Nice photo by the way...gruesome...but nice.

Iain.
IAC

Postby MalcQ » Fri 29 Jun 2012 13:18

Hi Iain,

Thanks for replying. I have posted the photo on another forum and it was suggested that the larva is a Timothy Tortix moth, which I think is a good shout. I've since bought the micro moth field guide and still see no reason to doubt the ID. The larva is much more interesting to look at than the adult :-) I Googled sawfly larva images and didn't see anything that looked like the one in my piccie.

cheers,
malc
MalcQ

Postby dwwd » Sun 01 Jul 2012 19:50

Just for future reference, lepidopterous caterpillars always have at least the first two abdominal segments without pro-legs. That is, the first two segments after the true legs. Some families have fewer pairs of pro-legs than others, but Sawfly larvae generally have pro-legs on every segment.
Duncan
dwwd

Return to Identification queries