2 Macros on the Whiteadder banks?

If you have seen a Butterfly or Moth you can't put a name to then post a photo of it here and we'll try and identify it for you.

2 Macros on the Whiteadder banks?

Postby IAC » Wed 10 Aug 2011 14:47

Hi all,
Not very sure about these guys attached..I think....Common Wainscot for the second one....but I could be very wrong!! The other I thought maybe a washed out Antler or Middle Barred Minor...I am unconvinced though. Any ideas?

Iain.
Attachments
019_1.jpg
No idea...really!!
050_1.jpg
Common Wainscot...or...?
IAC

Re: 2 Macros on the Whiteadder banks?

Postby barry prater » Thu 11 Aug 2011 09:56

Hi Iain

I think your first one looks like a Six-striped Rustic and the second could be Common or Smoky Wainscot - hard to tell from the photo. I see many more Smoky than Common around Berwickshire.

Cheers

Barry
barry prater

Postby admin » Thu 11 Aug 2011 19:01

Yes, I'd agree Barry. The Wainscot I'm sure is Smoky; Common is very clean in colour in comparison.

Mark
admin
Site Admin

Postby IAC » Fri 12 Aug 2011 18:34

Hi Barry and Mark,
That Six Striped Rustic is very well spotted indeed Barry...more than impressed with that id!!! I would never in a million years have got that one...thanks!!
The Wainscot I see can be difficult to id...when you say the Smoky is more common than the common....it means little to me, as that will also be a first for me whatever it is...thanks chaps. I found both of them openly nectaring...is that usual?

Thanks again,

Iain.
IAC

Return to Identification queries