Trip to the North-West

Post details of any interesting moths you have seen or trapped to share with the community

Trip to the North-West

Postby DonMatthews » Tue 12 Apr 2016 11:06

Not long back from a mothing trip to the north-west, which proved to be a trip of two halves. The first four nights were in poorly-recorded squares in Wester Ross, where I found a quite unexpected 77 moths in the trap on the first night and ended up with a total tally of 149 moths over the 4 nights. Then it was a bit further north to another set of poorly-recorded squares in West Sutherland, where I only managed a total of 13 moths over 4 nights. Quite a difference, considering the two areas were only about 40 miles apart (as the Hooded Crow flies).

Back home for last night, when I got 8 moths in the garden - back to normality!

Don
DonMatthews

Re: Trip to the North-West

Postby DonMatthews » Mon 16 May 2016 10:21

Just back from my second visit of the year to the north-west. Stopped near Loch Voil (Balquidder) on the way north, to do a bird survey, and got 38 moths and a caterpillar before setting out to look for birds. The nearest I can get on the caterpillar is Grey Arches but can anyone suggest anything better?
Grey Dagger 1.jpg
Grey Dagger 2.jpg

Then north for 8 nights trapping in Wester Ross and West Sutherland, with the catches varying between 2 and 29 moths. Three Puss Moths in NC35/36 in West Sutherland, well away from previous records, also Glaucous Shears and Streamer which were new species for me, plus an earlyish Poplar Hawkmoth. A Scarce Prominent in NH18, Wester Ross was on the edge of the previous records. Altogether a very satisfactory trip.

Last night was back to trapping in my Kincardine garden and back to just one moth in the trap - my first Garden Carpet of the year.

Don Matthews
DonMatthews

Re: Trip to the North-West

Postby MarkCubitt » Mon 16 May 2016 21:09

Yes, nice one. Grey Arches confirmed by Roy.

Mark
MarkCubitt

Return to Moth news