East Lothian Sightings - April 2020

Create a new topic with news of your recent butterfly sightings and first for year dates

East Lothian Sightings - April 2020

Postby NickMorgan » Tue 07 Apr 2020 14:39

The lockdown has rather curtailed much butterfly recording, but we have asked the Countryside Volunteers to keep a note of any butterflies they see in their garden or when they are out and about. So far this has proved to be very valuable. I have had records from about 20 people so far. By far the most common butterfly seen in the Peacock. The Small Tortoiseshell is in second place and yesterday I received the first Comma record from Musselburgh.
Today was even more exciting with a picture of a Holly Blue taken in a garden in North Berwick!
I know there are loads of sites we would love to check out, but we have to abide by the Government's advice. However, gardens are providing plenty of records for the moment.
NickMorgan

Re: East Lothian Sightings - April 2020

Postby jpgn » Wed 08 Apr 2020 18:20

As a postie I get to check out the butterflies in other people's gardens, as well as my own! Plus I'm cycling to and from work so am seeing a bit of the East Lothian coastline as well.
Have only been seeing a handful butterlfies over the past week - but today's warm sunshine seemed to really kick-start the season at last. I had 6 Peacocks and 2 Small Tortoiseshells in Prestonpans, 2 Peacocks at Ferny Ness and another couple in Aberlady village. Then finally had at least one more Peacock in my garden in Gullane.
Could do with a bit more variety now...
Jim
jpgn

Postby georgehogg » Thu 09 Apr 2020 12:00

Got my first 2020 Orange Tip on daily walk out of the village (Macmerry) yesterday .
The Peacocks were the real stars though ,with every bielded and sun catching section of path guarded by one ,with frequent fights as interlopers appeared.
Even saw one pursue a big queen buff tailed bumble away into the distance.
Didn't count as they would often pass and double pass , but must have seen a minimum of thirty.
Two or three Small Torts too.
georgehogg

Postby NickMorgan » Sun 12 Apr 2020 08:05

Garden sightings are coming in thick and fast. Two Painted Ladies from the Dunbar area and Green-veined White and Small White near Haddington.
NickMorgan

Postby jpgn » Thu 16 Apr 2020 17:14

Alan Brown reported a Speckled Wood in the Longniddry area on April 8th
jpgn

Return to Butterfly News