East Lothian Sightings May

Create a new topic with news of your recent butterfly sightings and first for year dates

East Lothian Sightings May

Postby NickMorgan » Mon 03 May 2010 22:41

Thought I should at least start a post on what I have been seeing in East Lothian. Been away for a while so missed any early sightings.
I have seen a reassuring number of small tortoiseshells so far this year - five on Sunday near Gifford and eight today on a walk down the River Tyne from East Linton.
Also a lot of orange tips around everywhere I have looked!
Only seen a couple of green-veined whites and one peacock so far.
NickMorgan

Re: East Lothian Sightings May

Postby NickMorgan » Wed 05 May 2010 23:02

Took a walk up the River Tyne from Haddington at lunch time today. Must have seen 50+ orange tips, 30+ small tortoiseshells, 15 or 20 peacocks, one green veined white and, at last, a comma!
NickMorgan

Postby NickMorgan » Thu 20 May 2010 22:40

I visited John Muir Country Park at lunchtime today. In the longer grass close to the Shore Road car park there was an incredible number of green-veined whites and orange tips. Closer to Hedderwick I spotted over 100 small heaths and one small copper. There were also small and large whites and two faded tortoiseshells.
Small heaths are very frustrating things to try to photograph!!

NickMorgan

Postby NickMorgan » Mon 31 May 2010 22:04

Nothing very exciting to report here. The cold weather towards the end of the month seems to have slowed things down a bit. There certainly seem to be good numbers of orange tips and green-veined whites still flying around. It was good to see so many small tortoishells flying this month. I hope the population continues to do well. At least the colder weather has made photographing the butterflies a little easier. Yesterday I had to content myself by looking for eggs of the orange tip. I managed to find quite a few on my usual dog walk with most garlic mustard plants having one egg. It amazes me that even plants with six or seven flower heads only have one egg on them. How carefully does the female check the plant before laying an egg?

NickMorgan

Return to Butterfly News