East Lothian Sightings - August 2019

Create a new topic with news of your recent butterfly sightings and first for year dates

East Lothian Sightings - August 2019

Postby jpgn » Sat 03 Aug 2019 16:15

Painted Lady numbers are definitely dropping off now along the EL coast - but fortunately Peacocks are now emerging to replace them. Was down to only about 40 Painted Ladies on my postal round today (on the sunniest morning of the week) compared to 250+ on Monday and Wednesday - but got well over 20 Peacocks, including 9 on a single Buddleia.

Had 17 Peacocks, 10 Painted Ladies, 3 Red Admirals and 2 Small Tortoiseshells at Waterston House (SOC HQ) in Aberlady early afternoon - and also a couple of second-generation Walls closer to Gullane

Jim
jpgn

Re: East Lothian Sightings - August 2019

Postby georgehogg » Mon 12 Aug 2019 23:36

I see a Grayling at Tyninghame on Twitter.
Is that a known area for them ?
georgehogg

Postby NickMorgan » Tue 13 Aug 2019 12:18

georgehogg wrote:I see a Grayling at Tyninghame on Twitter.
Is that a known area for them ?

George,
I believe that Katty found some records from the early 1900s for Graylings on the coast near Tyninghame, but I haven't received any recent sightings. I found and caught (and then released) a Grayling at Belhaven in 2001, when I was the seasonal ranger there. This is exciting and I would be keen to know more.
Nick
NickMorgan

Postby jpgn » Tue 20 Aug 2019 20:55

Decent numbers of butterflies again on my walk round Longniddry this morning: 30 Peacocks, 7 Painted Ladies, 7 Red Admirals, 3 Large Whites, 1 Speckled Wood, 1 Comma and a few dozen Small Whites (hard to keep a count on them).
jpgn

Postby NickMorgan » Wed 21 Aug 2019 22:12

It has been a strange month so far! We had peak Painted Lady numbers at the beginning of the month after an enormous number arrived on our shores at the end of July. The number has slowly declined as they have continued inland and many, I am sure, have perished.
There was great excitement when Holly Blues were found at two separate locations in Gullane. I have long suspected that there was a colony hiding in a large garden somewhere in the area and I suspect these are new colonies that have originated from the mystical colony. Possibly last year's good weather allowed them to breed successfully and expand from where they were.
Here is a picture courtesy of Abbie.
HB688 (2).jpg
HB688 (2).jpg (114.12 KiB) Viewed 480 times

And in other news, Peacocks seem to be doing very well this year. They were the most numerous butterfly on my transect today. Green-veined Whites seem to be in lower numbers than usual and Meadow Browns appear to be alarmingly scarce this year. I suspect that some species have suffered by the occasional torrential rain we have been experiencing and others are able to roost in more sheltered places.
I have noted Small Tortoiseshells exploring log piles and sheds, etc, electing to find places to hibernate already.
NickMorgan

Postby NickMorgan » Wed 28 Aug 2019 12:40

Enormous numbers of Peacocks, Red Admirals and Commas being seen in Saltoun Big Wood at the moment, along with Speckled Woods and Whites.

Also another colony of Holly Blues found by Abbie east of Gullane. So, they really appear to have stronghold in the area now.
NickMorgan

Return to Butterfly News