East Lothian sightings - November 2018

Create a new topic with news of your recent butterfly sightings and first for year dates

East Lothian sightings - November 2018

Postby NickMorgan » Fri 02 Nov 2018 14:42

I wasn't sure that there would be a November sightings thread, but it has been a good start to the month.
Yesterday Abbie saw one of her Small Coppers near Aberlady. Later in the day I was passing, so took a look and saw one too. I sent the picture to Abbie, who recognised the butterfly as the same one she had seen.
Today I took a walk along the River Tyne in Haddington and checked out a clump of flowering ivy that overhangs the river in a very sunny location and there was "my" Comma, that has been frequenting this spot for a few weeks now.
I returned to the office to see an e-mail from Abbie saying that today there were two Small Coppers near Aberlady today. The same male as yesterday and a blue-spotted female that she has been seeing through last month.
I have been surprised not to have seen any Red Admirals over the last couple of days, despite checking out well known favourite spots of theirs. I wonder if the recent frosts have triggered something that has made them head deep into ivy-covered walls?
NickMorgan

Re: East Lothian sightings - November 2018

Postby georgehogg » Sun 04 Nov 2018 14:30

Hi Nick , had a very worn Red admiral at Torness on 1st Nov.
It was of course on ivy ,which has to be one of the best wildlife plants ever.
Guess it's time to turn back to birds/mammals for a while until botany/insects Spring back to life.
georgehogg

Postby NickMorgan » Mon 05 Nov 2018 13:17

Thank you George. Yes, Ivy is very under-rated! When I see the number of insects feeding on it at this time of year it makes me wonder what they would do if there wasn't any Ivy around.
I had a report of another Red Admiral on Sunday, this time from Seacliff. I am still hoping for a late Speckled Wood, though!
NickMorgan

Postby NickMorgan » Thu 08 Nov 2018 14:47

A report from Abbie today of a Small Tortoiseshell flying near Aberlady and three Red Admirals feeding on Ivy near Longniddry, so there is still stuff out there! :D I am sure she won't mind me posting her pictures here.
Small Tort.jpg
Small Tort.jpg (99.39 KiB) Viewed 2049 times

Red Ad.jpg
Red Ad.jpg (74.81 KiB) Viewed 2049 times
NickMorgan

Postby NickMorgan » Sat 17 Nov 2018 19:49

The ivy patch near Longniddry that Abbie keeps an eye on keeps on giving. On Friday she saw a Red Admiral, Peacock and a pristine Small Tortoiseshell.
Red803.jpeg
Red803.jpeg (127.81 KiB) Viewed 1956 times

Red800.jpeg
Red800.jpeg (137.93 KiB) Viewed 1956 times

It is a lot colder today, so I wonder if these will be the last butterflies of the season.
NickMorgan

Return to Butterfly News