East Lothian Sightings July 2018

Create a new topic with news of your recent butterfly sightings and first for year dates

Re: East Lothian Sightings July 2018

Postby jpgn » Fri 27 Jul 2018 09:51

26 Small Whites in our, small, front garden this morning - plus 3 Large Whites (eggs also found on our Kale), Peacock and Small Tortoiseshell. They're going crazy for the Lavender. Unprecedented numbers for the 12 years we've been here in Gullane.

Jim & Ali
jpgn

Postby ricowells » Fri 27 Jul 2018 13:18

Similar story here in willowbrae Edinburgh. Looking out over my garden and next door neighbours (both gardens well planted for pollinators) I can see roughly a dozen whites zipping about. Seem to be mostly GV white from the ones I have photographed which have cooperated by landing. Only the odd peacock though joining them.
ricowells

Postby NickMorgan » Fri 27 Jul 2018 13:58

Yes, there seems to have been a massive emergence of Small Whites. I had a message from one of our recorders this morning to say that they were uncountable on Ablerlady Local Nature Reserve, as there were so many!
I just drove from Haddington to Macmerry and couldn't believe the number of white butterflies along the side of the road. There really were thousands, probably averaging one every two metres along the hedgerow. I stopped in Gladsmiur to pick up a couple of road casualties and it appears that the vast majority are Small Whites. As I looked around me I estimated that there were over 200 in view.
At Macmerry I stopped, as I noticed them on the flower bed at the entrance sign. There were 35 Small Whites and a solitary Green-veined White on the flowers. I have never seen numbers like this.
Wednesday's transect was good, with 41 Green-veined Whites, 10 Peacocks, 8 Large Whites, 5 Small Whites, 4 Meadow Browns, 2 Small Coppers, a Small Tortoiseshell, Comma, Speckled Wood, Ringlet and most excitingly a Small Skipper. I recorded them there on one occasion two years ago, but nothing since.
Yesterday I checked out the uncut grass on the other side of the river and saw loads of whites, but no Small Skippers there.
We need the forecast rain this weekend, but I hope it is not too heavy for the sake of the butterflies!!!
NickMorgan

Postby jpgn » Fri 27 Jul 2018 17:54

And now we've added Wall to our garden list - a single specimen on the Buddleia!

Had a couple of Clouded Yellows on the North Downs in Surrey earlier in the week - the way things are going we might be getting them up here soon!
jpgn

Postby jpgn » Mon 30 Jul 2018 20:34

Bucket-loads of butterflies on a sunny morning during my postal rounds in Longniddry today: 250+ Small Whites (sometimes 30+ in a garden, esp those with Lavender); 25+ Large Whites; plenty of other fly-by whites; 40+ Peacocks (with Buddleias now fully out); 3 Red Admirals, 1 Small Tortoiseshell and 1 Painted Lady.

Jim
jpgn

Postby cuppablanca » Sat 04 Aug 2018 12:57

Very similar experiences to Jim. I also have a small garden in Gullane with a lavender border and Buddleia, and have 20+ small whites daily on the lavender. Also 3 large whites, many Silver Y moths, and 1 Wall Brown (twice). Not seen these here before this year.
cuppablanca

Previous

Return to Butterfly News