East Lothian Sightings April 2018

Create a new topic with news of your recent butterfly sightings and first for year dates

East Lothian Sightings April 2018

Postby georgehogg » Thu 05 Apr 2018 22:01

A winter faded Small Tortoiseshell out and about in the the sun on the Gorse Bank at Torness in late morning after a very frosty start.
georgehogg

Re: East Lothian Sightings April 2018

Postby wgell » Sun 08 Apr 2018 17:43

3 Peacocks along the Johnnie Cope road up the Garletons at lunchtime today. My first record of the year. All very healthy looking too.
wgell

Postby georgehogg » Mon 09 Apr 2018 19:51

Up hills today.
1 Peacock near Fasney Cottage and 1 on roadside at Whiteadder picnic site (which is now fenced off).
georgehogg

Postby georgehogg » Sat 14 Apr 2018 17:28

Another (or same ) Peacock at Whiteadder ex-picnic site.
Was in the hills trying the Emperor Moth lure but guessing I was a week or so early !
georgehogg

Postby IAC » Sat 14 Apr 2018 18:18

I would absolutely try that Emperor lure next weekend George. Might give it a go then as well.

Ex-picnic site? What are they planning to do with it? Its been years since I was up there. That Peacock...was it in the Scottish Borders...it right on the line at the picnic site. :)
IAC

Postby georgehogg » Sun 15 Apr 2018 09:54

Hi Iain , Picnic site now a fenced off pasture with sheep on it.
Tried three sites over range looking for Emperors .
Either too early or I have a duff lure.
Bought it too late last year but still tried it a couple of times to no avail.
Determined this time !
georgehogg

Postby IAC » Sun 15 Apr 2018 15:16

Believe me your lure shall not be duff..hahaha. Just a bit longer and you will be fighting them off. Once those temperatures peak midweek I reckon the Emperors will begin emerging. They don't all emerge at once, so things will be slow to start with. The numbers should pick up markedly at the end of the month and early May.

That's a shame about the picnic site. I remember it well from childhood. I had heard that overnight campers and travellers were abusing it bit, with rubbish, fires etc...so maybe a bit of grazing on it might protect it for a while. Do people even picnic these days up in the hills anymore... I remember we used to find some right flea bitten spots up in the Lammermuirs back in the day. :)

Finally...I am predicting Orange-tip by Friday. :)
IAC

Postby NickMorgan » Sun 15 Apr 2018 20:23

IAC wrote:Finally...I am predicting Orange-tip by Friday. :)

That's a bold prediction!! It seems hard to believe that anything will emerge that soon, but it is meant to be warmer next week.

So far, I have had a few Peacocks reported to me. I saw two Small Tortoiseshells and a Peacock in Gifford today.
Sadly, no Red Admirals yet. I wonder if the cold weather was too much for all of those we had at the back end of last year?
NickMorgan

Postby IAC » Sun 15 Apr 2018 22:11

Yes, Red Admirals Nick, a bit of a conundrum as always. Being free agents I wonder if they just upsticks and head south if spring ends up being not all that it could have been. Only the one for us so far this year and nothing since.

Orange-tip ...yes a bold prediction. A number of factors today included one very important Bee Fly sighting. 2 of them today in fact...so.... Bee Fly always seem to appear a week before Orange-tip emerge. Last year it was 8 days...for example. :) So Friday....yes Friday might be a bit premature...but who knows. Now that I have stuck my neck out you can almost guarantee I shall have to bare some considerable pain desperately tracking one down by the end of the week.
IAC

Postby NickMorgan » Wed 18 Apr 2018 07:31

Your prediction may prove to be right, Iain. A Green-veined White was spotted by Andy Burns yesterday in East Linton. Luckily he was able to get close enough to identify it. Last year he saw our first white, but it kept flying ahead of him so he wasn't able to see what it was!
Surely Orange Tips won't be far behind, although my chrysalises don''t seem to be colouring up yet.
NickMorgan

Next

Return to Butterfly News