White Letter Hairstreak, Scottish first.

Create a new topic with news of your recent butterfly sightings and first for year dates

White Letter Hairstreak, Scottish first.

Postby IAC » Thu 10 Aug 2017 00:41

Hi all,
I managed to find a single White Letter Hairstreak on the Scottish Border today at Paxton Toll feeding on Ragwort on a grass margin backed by a south facing woodland containing Elm, Ash, Oak. Flabbergasted, shocked stunned...all of that and more. The Butterfly as you can see is well battered, but who cares...when I saw it I was screaming inside..hahaha Still cant believe it really. I deliberately annoyed the critter to see it fly as it seemed more than happy to spend the entire day drinking Ragwort. Flies a bit like a Copper, less darting, more hovering, it circled around and upwards towards the canopy. I searched fruitlessly for another, on my return to the Ragwort, the Butterfly had resumed its nectaring...just incredible!! One to look out for till the end of the month perhaps, renewed confidence. Next year will be very, very interesting indeed.

Iain.
Attachments
IMG_0001.jpg
IMG_0001.jpg (27.7 KiB) Viewed 1963 times
IAC

Re: White Letter Hairstreak, Scottish first.

Postby jpgn » Mon 14 Aug 2017 15:14

Brilliant stuff Iain - that's an amazing find. It certainly looks like it's been on an adventure, judging from the state ot its wings! Well done - just rewards for all your hard work.

Jim & Ali
jpgn

Postby jpgn » Thu 17 Aug 2017 19:37

Patrick Barkham has written about Iain's amazing find, of a White-letter Hairstreak in Borders, in the Guardian today:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... since-1884
jpgn

Postby IAC » Tue 05 Sep 2017 22:26

Cheers Jim, Finding a few eggs on those Elm growing tips come winter will be the icing on the cake....so fingers crossed.

Iain.
IAC

Return to Butterfly News