East Lothian Sightings - July 2017

Create a new topic with news of your recent butterfly sightings and first for year dates

Re: East Lothian Sightings - July 2017

Postby wgell » Mon 31 Jul 2017 14:27

Saturday I was along the old Railway at Cotty Burn. Good numbers of Large and GV Whites in the field at the top of Redhouse Dean.

Sunday I was at Bara Loch in morning. Good numbers of Large and GV Whites again and a few Meadow Browns and one Red Admiral but nothing else. Very disappointing there compared to this time last year.

Sunday afternoon I walked along the path from Gifford to Bolton. In the field of long grass on the left just before the second kissing gate I was surprised to see about 6 Small Skippers. Also Large Whites, GV WHites, Meadow Browns and Ringlets.

Haven't seen Small Skippers here before. The seem to be doing well...
wgell

Postby jpgn » Mon 31 Jul 2017 18:53

Saw my first of this summer's new Peacocks in Douglas Road, Londniddry this morning - then quickly followed it up with a second in our garden at home in Gullane.
jpgn

Postby NickMorgan » Tue 01 Aug 2017 12:30

It is good to read about the variety of butterflies that is being seen at the moment, even if they aren't around in great numbers. I hope things will pick up a bit soon. This sunny and showery weather shouldn't do them any harm, so fingers crossed.
NickMorgan

Previous

Return to Butterfly News