Scottish Borders Sightings May 2017

Create a new topic with news of your recent butterfly sightings and first for year dates

Scottish Borders Sightings May 2017

Postby IAC » Thu 04 May 2017 09:48

Hi all,
A record breaking Small Blue yesterday at Burnmouth, and after review of the million of photos that followed its discovery I could see that I had photographed 2 individuals both male with a little ware suggesting perhaps that they had emerged a few days before. The previous record stood at May 9th 2011, and that was thought to be extreme...so this is well beyond that. Also yesterday at Burnmouth I noticed Small Copper and Wall at a pretty advanced stage and some of these guys have been flying for a good while. I am anticipating Small Heath will be on the wing just now as well...somewhere. If this dry spell continues we may see other records broken, especially for Northern Brown Argus and Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary. Naturally, this dry spell is not good news at all for Butterflies. Coastal vegetation now exposed to sea breezes beginning to burn quite badly. So we need rain soon.

Iain.
IAC

Re: Scottish Borders Sightings May 2017

Postby MNisbet » Sat 20 May 2017 10:42

Just spent a week near Jedburgh. Saw one (possibly two) Peacock at Teviot Smokery Water Gardens; a Green-veined White at Born in the Borders, and Orange Tips at both of these (fairly abundant at Born in the Borders along the riverside), plus at Harestanes and Bairnkine. Possibly other whites but not seen close enough for ID. One Small Tortoiseshell at Harestanes (inside a building).
Attachments
OrangeTip-male-Bairnkine-May17 (1 of 1).jpg
Peacock-TeviotWaterGarden-May17 (1 of 1).jpg
Green-veinedWhite-BornintheBorders18May17-2 (1 of 1).jpg
MNisbet

Postby Dennis » Thu 25 May 2017 15:13

Around c10 Small Blues at Burnmouth this morning in the glorious sunshine. Several Wall around, 2 Red Admirals, 3 Small Coppers, good numbers of Large and GV Whites, small numbers of Orange Tips and my first Small Heath of the year.
Will post some pics later on.

Dennis
Dennis

Postby Dennis » Thu 25 May 2017 20:56

Dennis wrote:Around c10 Small Blues at Burnmouth this morning in the glorious sunshine. Several Wall around, 2 Red Admirals, 3 Small Coppers, good numbers of Large and GV Whites, small numbers of Orange Tips and my first Small Heath of the year.
Will post some pics later on.

Dennis
Attachments
Wall 003.jpg
Small Blue 004.jpg
Small Blue 003.jpg
Small Blue 001.jpg
Small Blue 002.jpg
Dennis

Postby IAC » Thu 25 May 2017 22:41

Hi all,
NBA at Burnmouth today. I just about missed it myself, however I had a tip off from local Butterfly boffin Professor Ian Campbell who pointed it out to me. A record emergence for NBA in the Scottish Borders by three days. Thank you Ian. :D

Small Blue everywhere. 30-40 odds without really trying. 1 at Partanhall prospecting female.

Iain.
Attachments
IMG_0001.jpg
IAC

Postby NickMorgan » Fri 26 May 2017 22:38

Good news Iain.
I am hoping to get down to the Berwickshire coast next weekend.
One of our intrepid volunteers was walking in the Borders yesterday near Abbey St Bathans. He saw several Orange Tips, Green-veined Whites and a couple of Peacocks and Red Admirals. Also a Painted Lady.
NickMorgan

Postby jpgn » Thu 01 Jun 2017 17:51

Had our annual butterflying trip down to Borders yesterday (31st) - gloriously sunny but with a cool breeze off the sea. As ever Burnmouth didn't disappoint. On the cliff-top path above Partanhall we immediately had Wall and Painted Lady - and hadn't gone 100 yards before the first Northern Brown Argus flew past. Hadn't seem them at the top of the cliff before but we soon had 3-4 of the little beauties. Large White, Small Heath and Red Admiral were also seen, as well as a few Silver-y moths.

A mile or so along the path, at the usual place, we found large numbers of Small Blues as well as a couple of Small Coppers, but no Large Skippers alas. We did however get to see a Hummingbird Hawkmoth which buzzed past a couple of times.

At the bottom of the cliff at Partanhall we found the stronghold of the NBA - 10+ of them feeding and fighting over a patch of Valerian. There was also a Small White here - making 10 species of butterfly in a little over 2 hours. With Orange-tip and the first Common Blue of our summer earlier in the day at Torness (in Lothian) - not to mention a sighting of IAC from this parish - it was all-in-all a great day.

Jim & Ali
jpgn

Postby georgehogg » Sat 03 Jun 2017 08:14

Hi Jim, That's the first Common Blue I've heard of at Torness this year.
Last week's transect was too early for them.
georgehogg

Return to Butterfly News