East Lothian Sightings May 2017

Create a new topic with news of your recent butterfly sightings and first for year dates

East Lothian Sightings May 2017

Postby wgell » Mon 01 May 2017 16:14

Sneaky half day from work today and went to Saltoun Wood. Two OTs, two GV Whites, two Speckled Woods and several Peacocks.

I looked for Green Hairstreaks thinking it was maybe a bit early as the Blaeberry isn't fully out yet. But just as I was about to give up I spotted one feeding on the wild strawberries. Got a few snaps before it flew off. Then it clouded over and that was that!
Attachments
DSC_9084-1.jpg
DSC_9028-1.jpg
wgell

Re: East Lothian Sightings May 2017

Postby NickMorgan » Tue 02 May 2017 13:30

Well done Will. Abbie was out in another woodland on the south side of the Lammermuirs yesterday and she also saw a Green Hairstreak, along with some Peacocks and Green-veined Whites.
NickMorgan

Postby IanWood » Thu 04 May 2017 10:45

Wednesday 3 May
1x male Orange Tip beside 5th tee at Musselburgh Old Golf Course
1x Small Copper next to 1st green

Yes, I was golfing!
IanWood

Postby wgell » Fri 05 May 2017 18:41

Another visit to Saltoun Wood today.

Several Orange Tips and Peacocks a plenty.

2 Red Admirals

1 Speckled Wood

1 Comma

3 Green Hairstreaks

Looked long and hard for Small Coppers but no luck. Hoping they aren't as low in numbers there as last year.
Attachments
DSC_9453-1.jpg
DSC_9397-1.jpg
DSC_9361-1.jpg
DSC_9109-1.jpg
wgell

Postby Dennis » Sat 06 May 2017 00:19

Are you able to give me a grid ref for this site Will both where you found the Green Hairstreaks and where you park as I have never been.

Many thanks

Dennis

wgell wrote:Another visit to Saltoun Wood today.

Several Orange Tips and Peacocks a plenty.

2 Red Admirals

1 Speckled Wood

1 Comma

3 Green Hairstreaks

Looked long and hard for Small Coppers but no luck. Hoping they aren't as low in numbers there as last year.
Dennis

Postby NickMorgan » Sat 06 May 2017 21:34

I had a surprisingly good transect yesterday, despite the wind. 25 Orange Tips, 12 Green-veined Whites, 1 Small Tortoiseshell, 4 Peacocks and a Speckled Wood.

Today I saw a Speckled Wood in Yester Estate along with several Green-veined Whites, Orange Tips, 3 Peacocks and a Comma. Then this evening a Small Tortoiseshell in a field battling against the wind this evening at 8.30.

P1130380.JPG
P1130380.JPG (39.19 KiB) Viewed 5443 times

P1130396.JPG
P1130396.JPG (44.97 KiB) Viewed 5443 times

P1130409.JPG
P1130409.JPG (46.81 KiB) Viewed 5443 times
NickMorgan

Postby wgell » Sun 07 May 2017 18:20

Dennis wrote:Are you able to give me a grid ref for this site Will both where you found the Green Hairstreaks and where you park as I have never been.

Many thanks

Dennis

Dennis,
Make your way to West Saltoun. Immediately after it on the road leading from West to East Saltoun you'll find the junction and sign to "Saltoun Big Wood". Follow the very rough track to the car park. From the car park follow the main track through the main metal gate and keep going. You'll pass ponds on your left which are good for OTs at this time of year and Damsels and Dragonflies later. Keep on the track leading up, past the cross road in the track and you come to another large pond on your right. Again good for flying insects. Go past this pond and follow the track up to your left.

Up this track is where you will see Green Hairstreaks. Look for patches of Blaeberries on the left. About two thirds the way up there is a little mound covered in wild strawberries next to a patch of Blaeberry just before you come to the trees and this is the best spot to see them although at their peak they should be evident nearly all along this track mainly on the left. There is no need to leave the track you should see them fluttering about if you hang around and look carefully. They should be around till early June on sunny days. The same track is also a great place to see Small Skippers later in the year.
wgell

Postby Dennis » Sun 07 May 2017 20:19

That is fantastic Will, thank you so much. I have been up Bonally and Castlelaw a few times this week but not a sniff.
Out of curiosity, do you know when the Small-pearl bordered Fritilaries will be on the wing. I timed them too late last year.

Thanks again for all your help Will, greatly appreciated.

wgell wrote:
Dennis wrote:Are you able to give me a grid ref for this site Will both where you found the Green Hairstreaks and where you park as I have never been.

Many thanks

Dennis

Dennis,
Make your way to West Saltoun. Immediately after it on the road leading from West to East Saltoun you'll find the junction and sign to "Saltoun Big Wood". Follow the very rough track to the car park. From the car park follow the main track through the main metal gate and keep going. You'll pass ponds on your left which are good for OTs at this time of year and Damsels and Dragonflies later. Keep on the track leading up, past the cross road in the track and you come to another large pond on your right. Again good for flying insects. Go past this pond and follow the track up to your left.

Up this track is where you will see Green Hairstreaks. Look for patches of Blaeberries on the left. About two thirds the way up there is a little mound covered in wild strawberries next to a patch of Blaeberry just before you come to the trees and this is the best spot to see them although at their peak they should be evident nearly all along this track mainly on the left. There is no need to leave the track you should see them fluttering about if you hang around and look carefully. They should be around till early June on sunny days. The same track is also a great place to see Small Skippers later in the year.
Dennis

Postby NickMorgan » Sun 07 May 2017 22:20

I received an e-mail from Abbie this morning telling me of all of the butterflies she had seen at Aberlady Local Nature reserve on Saturday, including a Small Heath!! Also seen there were Orange Tips, Small Whites, Green-vein Whites and Small Coppers.
Elsewhere she has seen Large Whites, Small Whites, Red Admirals and Peacocks!
NickMorgan

Postby NickMorgan » Tue 09 May 2017 22:58

Abbie saw about 15 Small Heaths today down at Barns Ness, along with Wall Browns, Small Coppers, Green-veined Whites and Orange Tips.
My transect at lunchtime in Haddington was pretty good, with plenty of Orange Tips and Green-vein Whites, two Speckled Woods, a Small White and a Peacock. Then down at Dunbar I saw three Wall Browns on the new cycle path south of Dunbar, along with a couple of Green-veined Whites.
NickMorgan

Next

Return to Butterfly News