Scottish Borders Sightings March 2017

Create a new topic with news of your recent butterfly sightings and first for year dates

Scottish Borders Sightings March 2017

Postby IAC » Sun 26 Mar 2017 23:45

Hi all,
At last the 2017 season truly does look to have started. This past weekend has been quite phenomenal, from nothing to everything, all at once. :o I had not planned for any fancy trip out to anywhere in particular and chose to work my local patch both Saturday and Sunday. Sallow, Butterbur, Dandelions...anything I knew would attract a Butterfly. Saturday was slow to offer anything up until roughly mid day when I saw 3 consecutive Comma about Edington Mill, one of those feeding at Purple Willow...a great relief to see something, after that things were not all that straight forward with very little about until mid-afternoon when I found 3 Comma and 3 Peacock sparring together on a sunny bank at Ninewells. 6 Butterflies looked like a swarm at that point. :) I only managed a few Small Tortoiseshell, and it is perhaps a great relief to see any at all after last years apparent disaster with perhaps the lowest Small Tortoiseshell count of recent years. The Tortoiseshells are usually a little cautious out of the blocks, and soon there numbers may, I hope, counter those of the Peacock.
Today, again just a local circular to a few different locations turned out a far higher number of Peacock with 21, and a few more reported from downstream on the Whiteadder. Comma were a little more grounded with just the 4 and Tortoiseshells made 5. Convinced enough that there will be a lot more of the 2017 population to emerge from hibernation as the week goes on,despite a cloudy forecast, temperatures are to be good.

Iain.
Attachments
IMG_0001_1.jpg
IMG_0001.jpg
IMG_0001_2.jpg
IAC

Re: Scottish Borders Sightings March 2017

Postby IAC » Tue 28 Mar 2017 23:20

Hi all,
The weekend past and Mondays surprise bonus fair weather day produced nearly 100 Butterflies for the record. Peacock were way out front with 61 and not surprisingly as they fared slightly better than the other homegrown Vanessids last year. The Small Tortoiseshell did not start the weekend famously but by Mondays close of play had done a little better with a 21 total at the moment, and thats very good news considering. The Comma, a traditionally early Butterfly were seen quite frequently on Saturday and paled away on Sunday and Monday as they took up territory. So 14 Comma in all so far. No recent Red Admirals around just now, just one a good few weeks ago.
Attachments
IMG_0001_1.jpg
IMG_0001_1.jpg (90.84 KiB) Viewed 4218 times
IMG_0001_3.jpg
IMG_0001_2.jpg
IAC

Postby NickMorgan » Wed 29 Mar 2017 13:01

Hi Iain,
Great to read that things have really picked up in the Borders. Sounds quite similar to here, except you have found much higher numbers.
Abbie was out looking for butterflies on Sunday and saw a few, but more interestingly she checked a hibernation site at a local castle and found that the Small Tortoiseshells were all still in there, while Peacocks were flying around outside!
There has only been one Red Admiral reported in East Lothian and that was on 9th March.
NickMorgan

Postby IAC » Wed 29 Mar 2017 16:33

Hi Nick,
I did maybe 3 straight 5 and 6 hour sessions over the weekend and Monday which is why my numbers were up :D Even after that I felt I could have seen more...never satisfied. Interesting to hear about the Tortoiseshells hanging back in hibernation. I see this pattern every spring, but not first hand. Peacock always fire ahead in numbers, then a few days later Small Tortoiseshell begin to catch up. Next sunny spell should see the Tortoiseshells out I hope. I am very glad to see them this season after problems last. Ha...the only Red Admiral I have seen was just one day ahead of the 9th. :)

Iain.
IAC

Postby FabianV » Sat 27 May 2017 16:29

IdAC wrote:Hi Nick,
I did maybe 3 straight 5 and 6 hour sessions over the weekend and Monday which is why my numbers were up :D Even after that I felt I could have seen more...never satisfied. Interesting to hear about the Tortoiseshells hanging back in hibernation. I see this pattern every spring, but not first hand. Peacock always fire ahead in numbers, then a few days later Small Tortoiseshell begin to catch up. Next sunny spell should read the crazy bulk tutorials out I hope. I am very glad to see them this season after problems last. Ha...the only Red Admiral I have seen was just one day ahead of the 9th. :)

Iain.

Wow that's a beautiful one.
FabianV

Return to Butterfly News