Berwickshire sightings September 2009

Create a new topic with news of your recent butterfly sightings and first for year dates

Berwickshire sightings September 2009

Postby IAC » Mon 21 Sep 2009 12:08

Hi all,
Not to much to report realy as I have been busy with work over the last few months. However I have seen plenty of butterfly activity around my workplace in the shape of Small Tortoiseshell and Painted Lady that are still seeking nectar on these very beautiful sunny days we are enjoying.
I managed a day off yesterday and set off for Lamberton Moor and the Burnmouth coast...Red Admiral seemed to be everywhere..very spectacular. Small Tortoiseshell in good numbers along with worn Painted Lady and the odd Large White.
Green veined White were thin on the ground, with a higher number of Small White being seen.
I did find 4 Small Copper on Lamberton Moor, a little worn and tired but still defending there little spots with gusto...as is typical of this species. 2 Common Blue females on the coastal path south of Burnmouth. I failed to see any Peacock...very unusual...and no Comma...and no Wall Brown....I had hoped to seea few on the coastal clifftops. The weather looks promising for the end of this week so I hoping for at least another day off at the weekend....maybe one last time before things shut down for the winter :(

Cheers IAC.
Attachments
IMG_0001_2.jpg
The tenacious Small Copper at Lamberton, stands his ground.
IMG_0001_1.jpg
Painted Lady nectaring on a flush of Dandelions at Lintlaw farm.
IMG_0001.jpg
Female Common Blue on the Berwickshire coastal path.
IAC

Re: Berwickshire sightings September 2009

Postby IAC » Sat 26 Sep 2009 21:11

Hi all,
A beautiful sunny day here in Berwickshire, more like summer than autumn...I went down by the river Whiteadder nr Chirnside hoping to see some remnants of the butterfly season and was surprised to find that there is still lots of activity....on a 50mt stretch of riverbank, 60+ Red Admiral all nectaring on Ivy and supping moisture from the riverbank pools, 1 Comma nectaring on Ivy, 1 very ragged Peacock and 1 Small Tortoiseshell also nectaring on Ivy, 3 Painted Lady, 1 Large White and 6 Small White.
Earlier in the year I was concerned that Red Admirals had been putting on a poor show...this today more than made up for that....given a mild winter, I wonder how many of theses guys could make it through to Spring. I have never seen butterflies nectaring on Ivy before...so this was a future reference....long may this Indian summer continue.

Cheers IAC.
Attachments
IMG_0001.jpg
A Comma joins in the nectar bounty.
IMG_0001_1.jpg
One of the many Red Admirals painting the Ivy Scarlet and black today.
IMG_0001_2.jpg
A Painted Lady in good condition by the river Whiteadder.
IAC

Return to Butterfly News