Berwickshire sightings early April 2009

Create a new topic with news of your recent butterfly sightings and first for year dates

Berwickshire sightings early April 2009

Postby IAC » Fri 03 Apr 2009 18:27

Hi all,
This current spell of warm spring sunshine has proved to be very tempting for the local Butterfly population..on the second of April... 10 Peacock, 4 Small Tortoiseshell and 1 GVW observed at the Whiteadder riverbank south of Chirnside Bridge, Berwickshire. All nectaring on Dandelion, Celandine, Butterbur. Peacocks now setting up territories.

On the third of April.. a slow start due too encroaching East coast mist and low cloud...so by mid afternoon, I again visited the Whiteadder riverbank, just as the sun burned back the worst of the haar....and to my astonishment ...the first butterfly I encountered was a male Orange Tip!! This is the earliest on my record ....at this sight....on any site, in fact...males can emerge early April 15th 2 years past....so..I will keep an eye out for more...I am very certain he is the only one....
Also 1 Comma...very bedraggled...looks to have been chewed...very flightworthy though. 1 GVW, 1 territorial Peacock, 1 Small Tortoiseshell in great conditon. Very difficult to judge how healthy the Butterfly populations are so far this year as the weather is playing havoc with a more uniformed and orderley emergence of species.
Cheers IAC.
IAC

Re: Berwickshire sightings early April 2009

Postby IAC » Sun 05 Apr 2009 19:12

Hi all, Good sunny day today...a little breezy at times, however, butterfly numbers still on the up..today I visited Pipers Knowe Quarry and nearby Billie mire north west of Chirnside. 11 Peacock, 5 Small Tortoieshell, 1 Small White. Oh and 4 Sand Martins ,1 House Martin...for anyone interested. Peacock and Small Tortoiseshell nectaring on Dandelion, Coltsfoot, Primrose. Still to see any Large White...becoming increasingly scarce at any time of the year in my immediate area of Chirnside. Cheers, IAC.
IAC

Postby IAC » Fri 10 Apr 2009 13:20

Hi all,
April 9th, The weather remains mild, although now a little wet..however the early butterflies are still showing..by the river Whiteadder at Chirnside 12 Peacock, 6 Small Tortoiseshell, 2 Comma, 2 GVW. No sign of Large White here..and I am trying to locate locally, Holly Blues, no luck so far. Peacocks are in reasoable condition despite windy conditions..still nectaring on the riverside plant Butterbur..prefering that to the humble Dandelion..
Cheers IAC.
IAC

Postby IAC » Sat 11 Apr 2009 20:40

Hi all,
Very warm and sunny in Berwickshire today, visited Whiteadder riverbank from Bluestone Ford to Edington Mill...not to much to report here 2 Peacock, 2 Small Tortoiseshell. However later in the day returned to Ninewells Spring by the Whiteadder south of Chirnside and was rewarded with my first Large White of the season...being harried by Peacocks.
6 Peacocks here, 1 Small Tortoiseshell, 1 Comma, 1 Small White, 1 GVW...ALSO 1 Orange Tip male....all the butterflies were very busy fighting, defending ,posturing and nectaring....the Peacocks have moved from there nectar source of Butterbur onto the beautiful Cherry blossom.
Cheers IAC.
IAC

Postby IAC » Sun 12 Apr 2009 19:20

Hi all,
I do seem to be very busy just now chasing the rising tide of butterflies during this settled spell....today I walked from Chirnside, south to Crow Bank on the Whiteadder, then west following the Whiteadder as far as Blanerne Bridge...and what a haul...easily the best day so far..26 Peacock, 15 Small Tortoiseshell, 6 Orange Tip males, 2 Comma, 14 White butterflies....only 4 confirmed GVW..2 Small White...no Large White amongst the remainder, and I am pretty sure no female Orange Tips among them either. Imposible to get photos today as they were very active...the Butterbur again looks to be a favourable nectar source by the river. Sadly this weather may not hold for too much longer...so the female Orange Tips may be a while yet. Cheers IAC.
IAC

Postby IAC » Thu 16 Apr 2009 18:57

Hi all,
The weather has been a wee bit gloomy , however it has given me the chance to go out and count the resting Orange Tip males on a short stretch of the Whiteadder river. From Crowbank South of Chirnside...1000mts West on the North bank.
Only managed 4, very difficult to see, also 2 GVW. Seeing more fleeting glimpses of Comma, which seem to be widespread, yet not as readily seen as the Small Tortoiseshells.
Cheers IAC.
IAC

Postby IAC » Mon 20 Apr 2009 20:52

Hi all,
Some very good weather again today, decided to repeat a trek from earlier this month, visiting Pipers Knowe and Billie Mire, via the old railwayline Chirnside to Reston, and Whiteadder from Chirnside Bridge to Ninewells Springs...a fair hike!!!!
Recorded 21 Peacock, 6 Small Tortoiseshell, <26> Orange Tip...including 3 females, mostly by the Whiteadder...the numbers are about right, from previous years experience. I would expect a few more females this week. 14 White butterflies, of those 6 GVW, 4 Small White, 1 Large White, the remainder either GVW or SW.
Some Micro moths around, no idea what they were....I need a new tactic for these guys.
Cheers IAC.
IAC

Postby IAC » Fri 24 Apr 2009 20:56

Hi all,
Down by the Whiteadder at Chirnside again, weather not so good, however, the white butterflies are very conspicious now, Orange Tips and GVW's are common place...Small White and Large White in smalller numbers. Commas still around very spread out. Peacocks and Small Tortoiseshell males have calmed down a good bit. Seeing females secretly depositing eggs in quiet corners were the nettles wrestle for light among the vegetation. Cheers IAC.
IAC

Postby IAC » Tue 28 Apr 2009 16:12

Hi all,
A short walk by the river Whiteadder at Chirnside today I found 10 plus Orange Tip males and 2 females, 1 Peacock, 10 plus GVW AND 5-6 Small White. The weather wont really improve until the weekend....so I hear.
IAC

Postby scottshanks01 » Wed 29 Apr 2009 23:54

Hi IAC,
Really enjoying your blog posts and fantastic photographs. Keep up the good work!
Best wishes for a great butterfly Summer! Scott (G&SW Scotland Branch)
scottshanks01

Next

Return to Butterfly News