East Lothian Sightings May 2016

Create a new topic with news of your recent butterfly sightings and first for year dates

Re: East Lothian Sightings May 2016

Postby ricowells » Sun 15 May 2016 23:37

3rd trip in as many weeks to Linn dean yesterday produced only 1 red admiral way down by the burn. On the way home popped down to Hadfast valley which produced….another solitary red admiral….and a fly-by white. Ironically then stopped at B&Q at Fort Kinnaird and had an orange tip fly by while I was loading up the trolley with fertiliser….
ricowells

Postby jpgn » Mon 16 May 2016 05:20

"blue butterfly disappearing into a neighbours garden" reported from North Berwick on lothiannaturenews email group yesterday - Holly Blues sound like they're still clinging on along the East Lothian coast...
jpgn

Postby NickMorgan » Mon 16 May 2016 13:26

jpgn wrote:"blue butterfly disappearing into a neighbours garden" reported from North Berwick on lothiannaturenews email group yesterday - Holly Blues sound like they're still clinging on along the East Lothian coast...

That is exciting Jim. There must be a hidden colony somewhere around North Berwick/Dirleton/Gullane as I have had a record each year from that general area. I would love to find out where they are!
I found a few Speckled Woods in Colstoun between Gifford and Bolton yesterday, which nicely fills a gap in my distribution map! Plenty of Orange Tips and Green-veined Whites around with one or two Peacocks and Small Tortoiseshells. Also a Red Admiral near Bolton and a Comma in Yester Estate.
NickMorgan

Postby NickMorgan » Mon 16 May 2016 13:27

ricowells wrote:3rd trip in as many weeks to Linn dean yesterday produced only 1 red admiral way down by the burn. On the way home popped down to Hadfast valley which produced….another solitary red admiral….and a fly-by white. Ironically then stopped at B&Q at Fort Kinnaird and had an orange tip fly by while I was loading up the trolley with fertiliser….

Richard,
It is amazing how much cooler it is up in the hills. I have been driving over Soutra a lot recently and it is always two degrees cooler up there than on either side.
NickMorgan

Postby RJDMcBeath » Mon 16 May 2016 13:57

Barns Ness
Visited Barns Ness on Sunday afternoon on an SWT outing. 1 Small Heath and 1 Wall near the car park. Also Small Tortoiseshell and lots of Green-veined Whites. 1 Silver Y and a very nice Cinnabar moth.
Ron
RJDMcBeath

Postby jpgn » Mon 16 May 2016 20:38

Further to my comment earlier in the month that the BC Speckled Woods in Scotland survey doesn't seem to be active this year - well it has obviously been waiting for the warmer weather as it has now emerged from it's chrysalis and taken wing for 2016:

http://butterfly-conservation.org/2199/ ... urvey.html

Jim
jpgn

Postby NickMorgan » Tue 17 May 2016 09:29

RJDMcBeath wrote:Barns Ness
Visited Barns Ness on Sunday afternoon on an SWT outing. 1 Small Heath and 1 Wall near the car park. Also Small Tortoiseshell and lots of Green-veined Whites. 1 Silver Y and a very nice Cinnabar moth.
Ron

Ooh! That is our first Small Heath record of the year! I really musts get out more!

jpgn wrote:Further to my comment earlier in the month that the BC Speckled Woods in Scotland survey doesn't seem to be active this year - well it has obviously been waiting for the warmer weather as it has now emerged from it's chrysalis and taken wing for 2016:

http://butterfly-conservation.org/2199/ ... urvey.html

Jim

I noticed it was back up and running. I don't add everyone's Speckled Wood records to this site as I tried to do so in 2014 and it was just too much work. So, please feel free to add your own sightings.
NickMorgan

Postby georgehogg » Wed 18 May 2016 20:34

Nice fresh Wall outside Torness Visitor Centre this afternoon, GV Whites very common, Orange Tips regular
georgehogg

Postby wgell » Sat 21 May 2016 15:38

Yesterday I took a walk at Pressmennan Wood. In the area just past the dam at the east end of the lake I saw three Speckled Woods and a couple of OTs. In the valley beyond that through the gate there were several OTs and some Peacocks.

Today I was at Woodhall Dean and Brock Wood, Spott. At Woodhall there wasn't much doing although I did spot two Speckled Woods. One or two GV Whites as well.

At Brock Wood I counted 5 Speckled Woods which was nice as I have never seen them there before.
wgell

Postby jpgn » Sun 22 May 2016 12:37

Small Heath and Small Copper on Gullane Hill this morning

Ali & Jim
jpgn

PreviousNext

Return to Butterfly News