East Lothian Sightings May 2016

Create a new topic with news of your recent butterfly sightings and first for year dates

Re: East Lothian Sightings May 2016

Postby wgell » Sun 22 May 2016 19:36

At Saltoun Wood this morning. 2 Speckled Woods. One at the top of the wood and one along the main track not far from the car park. Only ever seen them up at the top area of the wood before at Saltoun.

2 Green Hairstreaks and lots and lots of OTs.
wgell

Postby NickMorgan » Tue 24 May 2016 13:09

East Lothian's first Painted Lady of the season was seen at John Muir Country Park yesterday by the Countryside Ranger.
NickMorgan

Postby NickMorgan » Thu 26 May 2016 22:25

Delighted to announce that Abbie's Orange Tip chrysalis eclosed a couple of days ago. She had a look at it yesterday and found an empty shell. It probably took the opportunity over the weekend when we were all involved in the Big Nature Festival. I need to check the dates, but it started to change colour in April, but then when the frosts started again it seemed to stop developing for about three weeks. We thought it had perished, but luckily not. I am not sure if this makes Abbie an aunt or not! :D
NickMorgan

Postby jpgn » Sun 29 May 2016 18:39

7+ Small Coppers and 2 Peacocks in Luffness Links Quarry this afternoon. Also a few assorted whites out and about and a Speckled Wood by the footbridge at Aberlady Bay LNR.

Not many days when Small Copper is the most numerous butterfly...

Jim
jpgn

Postby wgell » Sun 29 May 2016 20:47

At Saltoun Wood yesterday lots of OTs and GV Whites. Still a few Green Hairstreaks too. No sign of any Small Coppers.

Today I was at Bara Loch and Saltoun Wood again. Both locations had numerous OTs and GV Whites with one or two Peacocks but still no sign of Small Coppers! This time last year and the year before there were plenty Small Coppers at Saltoun but nothing this year so far that I've seen. Seems they've all gone off to Luffness!!!

Did see a Latticed Heath moth though which I haven't seen at Saltoun before. Seen them in a few places in the past but they always elude my camera.....
Attachments
DSC_4520-1.jpg
DSC_4498-1.jpg
DSC_4447-1.jpg
DSC_4415-1.jpg
wgell

Postby georgehogg » Tue 31 May 2016 21:56

There was indeed a Small Copper on the Hairstreak ride at Saltoun this afternoon.
Didn't see any hairstreaks but it was a very quick visit for Tiger Beetle pics so eyes on ground.

Torness had Wall, Speckled Wood , Orange Tip, Red Admiral .GV Whites and a Small Copper.

Turned over dozens of Garlic Mustard leafs for not a single GVW egg !
Mind you a female I watched was burrowing down through rank herbage ,no doubt to lay on low leafs.

Gorgeous day !
georgehogg

Previous

Return to Butterfly News