East Lothian Sightings May 2016

Create a new topic with news of your recent butterfly sightings and first for year dates

East Lothian Sightings May 2016

Postby georgehogg » Tue 03 May 2016 19:05

First East Lothian Orange Tip reported to me from James M. Scott via Twitter . (unless I have missed others reports ?)
Seen at Beltonford roundabout ,Dunbar.
Many thanks James.
georgehogg

Re: East Lothian Sightings May 2016

Postby georgehogg » Tue 03 May 2016 19:22

Oops ! Just checked the April reports,seems it's just me who hasn't had any ! :oops:
georgehogg

Postby georgehogg » Thu 05 May 2016 19:23

Finally ! Got my first male OT of the year among two or three GVW at Torness today.
Also one or two Small Torts about.
georgehogg

Postby wgell » Fri 06 May 2016 19:06

Walked around Saltoun Wood today around midday and counted 28 Peacocks and 2 OTs. Really expected some Commas given the numbers there last year but no sign of any. Also walked along the Tyne from Hailes Castle towards East Linton and back this afternoon. 7 Peacocks, 2 OTs and several GV Whites.
wgell

Postby jpgn » Sun 08 May 2016 15:15

Finally got out and about today in some warm sunshine - and wasn't disappointed. Every hedgerow and field edge around Gullane now seems to have an Orange-tip or two and there were loads of Speckled Woods early afternoon in Harestanes Wood/Craigielaw Strip. There were Peacocks, Small Torts, a Green-veined White and a Large White on the wildflower meadow at SOC Waterston House.

Thought I'd chance my luck and try for an early Small Copper - have seen them on Cuckoo Flowers in the ditch round the small reservoir S of Aberlady village in mid-May before. No luck today though - Bulrushes have rather taken over the ditch and there were very few Cuckoo Flowers (though it is early) and no Small Coppers.

Cycled back to Gullane and stopped off briefly at the wee quarry at the bend in the A198. There seemd to be only one flower in bloom on the south-facing edge of the quarry - a Coltsfoot, or something similar. And guess what had found the only flower available - a Small Copper! Woo-hoo.

Jim
jpgn

Postby jpgn » Mon 09 May 2016 10:50

Single Speckled Wood at Aberlady Bay LNR at 9:20 this morning - about 250m SE of Gullane Point. Anyone else seen them there before - it's a new site for me. And there are no records there for 2014 or 2015 on the BC Scottish Speckled Wood survey results maps either.

By the way, does anyone know if they are continuing this survey into 2016? When you click on the 'Submit a Sighting' button you get a 'Page not Found' error.
jpgn

Postby NickMorgan » Mon 09 May 2016 19:16

Jim,
Well done on the Small Copper. An East Lothian first for the year, I believe.
Speckled Woods have been recorded before on Gullane point by John Harrison and Abbie. I didn't submit the records I received to the survey last year, as it was just too much work, and all the East Lothian records are sent to BC anyway. I think the web survey was just run in 2013 and 2014 and then extended to 2015, so I guess it isn't continuing this year.
Speckled Woods 2014 - Copy.jpg

These are the 2014 Speckled Wood records. Sorry, I don't have the 2015 records on this computer.
NickMorgan

Postby wgell » Mon 09 May 2016 19:16

Yesterday I ventured around Woodhall Dean and Bara Loch but apart from a few Peacocks, one or two GV Whites and a couple of OTs there wasn't much happening considering the nice weather. Woodhall Dean was especially low compared to last year.

However, took half day from work today and went to Saltoun Wood. Wasn't disappointed. Green Hairstreaks! Near where I saw them in early June last year but a bit lower down the path. I saw two pairs fluttering around and also several sightings of individuals but it's entirely possible I was seeing the same ones more than once so can only confirm the two pairs but it could easily have been 6 to 10. They were mostly near the Blaeberry that grows in patches on one side of the track leading to the highest point of the wood. On the left as you go up. There's quite a lot of Blaeberry in among the trees there but I saw most of them just on the edge of the track. Great to see them again as I feared the ones I saw last year were maybe just visitors that had been blown downwind from Linn Dean or something but seeing them again today it seems there is a small colony there. Will be keeping my eyes out for more each time I visit Saltoun Wood till middle of June. Hope someone else seems them!

Oh and there were loadsa Peacocks, GV Whites and OTs but they weren't letting me anywhere near them! Had hoped to see some Small Coppers or some Small Skippers seeing as it was so nice but none yet. Some pics of the GHs below.
Attachments
DSC_3850-1.jpg
DSC_3818-1.jpg
DSC_3805-1.jpg
DSC_3743-1.jpg
DSC_3725-1.jpg
DSC_3709-1.jpg
DSC_3679-1.jpg
wgell

Postby IAC » Mon 09 May 2016 20:29

Great stuff Will...I reckon you have got just a wee bit excited with wishing Small Skipper considering they will be a few months yet...but...well...its okay to be excited when you have had such a good day. :D

Iain
IAC

Postby wgell » Mon 09 May 2016 21:26

Right enough Iain it was mid July when I saw the Small Skippers last year at Saltoun. :roll:
wgell

Next

Return to Butterfly News