East Lothian Sightings September 2015

Create a new topic with news of your recent butterfly sightings and first for year dates

East Lothian Sightings September 2015

Postby wgell » Mon 07 Sep 2015 08:54

Yesterday I went for an early walk around Bara Loch. Quite cold but there were a few Peacocks, a Small Tortoiseshell a couple of Commas and a Painted Lady. In the afternoon I visited Saltoun Wood. Large numbers of Peacocks and Commas. Some Small Tortoiseshells and Red Admirals as well good numbers of Small Coppers.

Has anyone else noticed a vast increase in numbers of Commas this year? Last year I probably saw less than a dozen all year. This year I`ve seen so many I`ve lost count! Yesterday at Saltoun they were the second most common butterfly after the Peacocks. And in other locations I`ve also seen good numbers. A field near Spott was full of them last month.
wgell

Re: East Lothian Sightings September 2015

Postby jpgn » Wed 09 Sep 2015 20:42

Still don't seem to be that many Commas in the coastal strip of East Lothian. Have had 2 in the last week - in Longniddry and Archerfield - bringing my sightings for this year to a grand total of 3!

Doing slightly better for Painted Ladies with 3 or 4 still seeking out Buddleias in Longniddry. Red Admirals are on the increase (as Small Torts become scarcer) with 6+ on one small Buddleia at Archerfield on Sunday and plenty more in Longniddry, Gullane and North Berwick.

Jim
jpgn

Postby NickMorgan » Fri 11 Sep 2015 23:54

Yesterday was exactly a year to the day from when Abbie Marland and I saw over 400 Speckled Woods in the woodland around Craigielaw, so we decided to go and see how they were doing this year. Generally numbers of Speckled Woods have been much lower this year, so we didn't know what to expect. We arrived at about 12:30 and initially there didn't seem to be many flying. However, when we walked the circular path around the woods there the weather improved and more Speckled Woods appeared. By the time we returned to the car we had seen more than 60. After last year, we felt a little disappointed, but had we seen 60 Speckled Woods anywhere else we would have been delighted!!

I haven't seen many Commas this year. Maybe three earlier in the year and one about two weeks ago on the River Tyne Path. Today I popped hope at lunchtime to pick something up and there was a Comma on the Buddleia! It is great to hear that they have done well elsewhere in East Lothian.

Today I was walking along the coast near North Berwick and I noticed what looked like an old WWII look out. I couldn't resist taking a look inside and I was surprised to see about 40 Small Tortoiseshells and two Peacock roosting on the ceiling. I guess that if the weather warms up a bit they will still be active this year. It will be interesting to check out this building again in the winter. I wonder if they also have been roosting in there at night during the summer.
NickMorgan

Postby wgell » Sat 12 Sep 2015 16:08

I've definitely seen fewer Speckled Woods this year compared to last year. With the exception of Woodhall Dean which had 20+ one day earlier in the year whereas last year I think a saw less than 6 there the whole year.

The increased numbers of Commas though has been very noticeable for me along the banks of the Tyne, Saltoun Wood, Garvald and Bara Loch. Saltoun in particular with them being second only in numbers to the Peacocks recently.

Yesterday I went to Bara Loch which has been a nice place for butterflies this year. Good numbers of Small Coppers in various spots. A few GV Whites, 2 Red Admirals, 3 Commas, 6 Peacocks and a very lonely washed out looking male Common Blue.
Attachments
DSC_9719-1.jpg
DSC_9709-1.jpg
DSC_9679-1.jpg
DSC_9587-1.jpg
DSC_9536-1.jpg
DSC_9481-1.jpg
DSC_9432-1.jpg
wgell

Postby georgehogg » Sun 13 Sep 2015 23:03

My last three transects of the year at Torness/Skateraw today.
First transect between the power station and seawall drew a complete blank as regards adult lepidoptera.
Fortunately 5 Fox Moth caterpillars (Hairy Oobits),a handsome Grey Dagger caterpillar and my first Gorse Shieldbug for the estate saved the day.
Gorse Bank was better with 1 Wall, 1 Small White, 3 Small Torts, 2 Red Admiral, 2 Meadow Brown and 3 Cinnabar caterpillars.
Best was Skateraw despite a busy twitch in progress for an Arctic Warbler.
2 fly by whites, 2 large White, 1 GV White, 6 Small Torts, 3 Red Admiral, 5 Peacock, 2 Wall, 1 Fox Moth caterpillar, 1 Silver 'Y', and 5 lovely fresh Speckled Wood.
Also a birder reported a Painted Lady on the main drive of the power station.
georgehogg

Postby jpgn » Wed 16 Sep 2015 18:04

At Skateraw a Wall briefly landed in the same Elder tree that the Arctic Warbler was seen in, by the waterfall, at about noon today. That was the only Wall I saw in the area today, but there were plenty of Speckled Woods, Red Admirals, Peacocks and Small Torts on the wing, as well as a Silver Y.

Jim
jpgn

Postby IanWood » Sat 19 Sep 2015 17:47

4x Commas at Saltoun Wood this afternoon. One took a shine to me and tried to land on me a couple of times. c12 Peacocks and 1 male GVW. Not to mention a small bag of bramble berries!

Ian
IanWood

Postby NickMorgan » Mon 21 Sep 2015 10:39

I came back to the house on Saturday to find two Red Admirals, three Peacocks and a Comma sunning themselves on the wall. I guess they had been searching out the remaining flowers on the Buddleia. Not much else happening on the butterfly front. I have been searching for Speckled Woods around Gifford over the last few days without any success. Looks like their advance has slowed down a bit this year.
NickMorgan

Postby IanWood » Fri 25 Sep 2015 16:01

C12 Speckled Wood and 2 Red Admiral today at Gullane bents, just north of the greenkeepers' sheds at Muirfield.

Ian
IanWood

Postby Matthew » Mon 28 Sep 2015 15:15

4 red admirals on way up North Berwick Law on Saturday 26th
Matthew

Next

Return to Butterfly News