East Lothian sighting August 2015

Create a new topic with news of your recent butterfly sightings and first for year dates

Re: East Lothian sighting August 2015

Postby wgell » Sun 30 Aug 2015 19:15

Haven't reported in here for a while. Apologies.

Down at Barns Ness today and there were good numbers of Walls and Blues and one or two painted Ladies. Was up at Saltoun Wood on Friday and Bara Loch yesterday. Saltoun producing good numbers of Peacocks and one or two Painted Ladies but not quite on last years spectacular. Also saw one or two Small Skippers still flying around looking worse for wear. Quite a few very small, withered looking Blues as well. Mostly a very drab colour but definitely Common Blues.

On 16th August down at Barns Ness I saw this. At first I had no idea what I was looking at and got very excited. Then I realised it's a Small Copper but very discoloured. Anyone seen anything quite like this before? It wasn't just faded and old it was quite healthy and fresh but just this very unusual colour! I can only think it's a mutation.
Attachments
SmallCopper.jpg
wgell

Postby IAC » Sun 30 Aug 2015 20:20

wgell wrote:
On 16th August down at Barns Ness I saw this. At first I had no idea what I was looking at and got very excited. Then I realised it's a Small Copper but very discoloured. Anyone seen anything quite like this before? It wasn't just faded and old it was quite healthy and fresh but just this very unusual colour! I can only think it's a mutation.

You are one of very few folks to find one of these incredible abs. ab. schmidtii Just fantastic to see a photo taken of one locally....There is some hope I will find one one day. Well done. Made my day. ;)

Iain.
IAC

Postby wgell » Mon 31 Aug 2015 07:09

IAC wrote:

You are one of very few folks to find one of these incredible abs. ab. schmidtii Just fantastic to see a photo taken of one locally....There is some hope I will find one one day. Well done. Made my day. ;)

Iain.

Thanks for that Iain. I had no idea it was a rare colour variant. It was fluttering on the thistles in the old caravan park area immediately south of the car park. With this and finding Green Hairstreaks at Saltoun Wood this has been a lucky summer for me!
wgell

Previous

Return to Butterfly News