Berwickshire sightings May 2009

Create a new topic with news of your recent butterfly sightings and first for year dates

Berwickshire sightings May 2009

Postby IAC » Sat 02 May 2009 18:40

Hi all,
Today I visited Gordon Community Woodland in West Berwickshire. I have not before visited this site ,so it was more or less a reconnaissance mission for a possible future visit. The woodland itself lies a half mile east of Gordon village, and being itself a community woodland it has parking and signposted footpaths. The habitat is mixed open woodland..Birch and light fir...bog and pond..Gorse scrub.Heather mixed with tussocky grass, rough pasture and a mowed section through the middle of the woodland, which was once a railwayline that linked all the border villages.
My first impressions are that it could be a very interesting area...especially the open grass areas...I will visit again in June. At the site today there were limited numbers flying due to a stiff westerley..however Orange Tip, GVW, Small White, Small Tortoiseshell and Peacock were present. Very little in the way of nectaring herbs...however..I would still like to see what develops as the season progresses.
Also today I visited Gordon Moss, a more familiar haunt for me..a wetland Birchwood Jungle....home to more species of invertebrate than the Amazon....there are insects in this place I have seen no were else...I have never been here at the height of summer, but I have heard it is a Green Hell. Lots of Orange Tip here today, with Peacock and GVW...all occupying and marauding any sunlit arena. It was a joy to behold to be surrounded by so many insects..I just wish I knew what they were.
Cheers IAC.
IAC

Re: Berwickshire sightings May 2009

Postby IAC » Sat 09 May 2009 14:46

Hi all,
Managed to dodge the showers today and take a quick stroll down by the river Whiteadder. Long before I reached the river I was richly rewarded by seeing a Wall Brown, a first all time ever sighting on my local patch...annoyingly this butterfly was not posing for photos...stretching its wings to catch the sun I clumsily wrestled my camera from my bag only to see it take off and hide wings closed in a crevice on the dyke wall...I waited for it to make a move, no chance. I am used to seeing them from time to time along the Berwickshire coast from mid June....so this was extra special so close to home.
Also today , amazingly despite the weather, 12 Orange Tip, 12 GVW, 1 Peacock and a few Small White...a few OT eggs on Garlic Mustard.
Very blustery and showery here today, realy hoping for better....but nobody could have convinced me that I would see a new species for my patch in these conditions...so its not all bad.
Cheers Iac.
IAC

Postby IAC » Sun 10 May 2009 18:44

Hi all,
A general wander on my local patch today, taking in the old railwayline at Chirnside and Whiteadder from Chirnside Bridge downstream. A good day in all, 20+ Orange Tip, 20+ GVW...they are having an incredible year., 2-3 Small White, 6 Peacock, 1 Small Tortoiseshell....and pick of the day..1 pristine Large White...I tried to photograph it, alas it got the better of me as it decided to roost high up an Elm.
Large Red Damselfly are on the wing here in Berwickshire, if anyone is interested. I do love Damsels and Dragons.
Cheers IAC.
IAC

Postby IAC » Tue 12 May 2009 19:28

Hi all,
May 11th, Billie Mire, Pipers Knowe and Railway..Large White 1, Peacock 8, Small Tortoiseshell 8, GVW 12, Orange Tip 12, Small White 2.

May 12th, River Whiteadder, short stretch south of Chirnside..Large White 6, Peacock 4, GVW 12, Small White 6, Orange Tip 8.

No sign of the Wall Brown, I have since deduced that it was a female that I observed on the 9th..light coloured and lighter markings.
IAC

Postby IAC » Wed 13 May 2009 19:56

Hi all,
Today Duns Castle Woods, and the Hardens via Duns Quarry. Lots of activity in the butterfly world today despite a chill easterly. 30+ GVW, in every habitat, having a great season, ova identified on Cuckoo Flower, fully expected to find Orange Tip here but no Orange Tip Ova seen, despite this, 16+Orange Tip observed, only 1 female. Large White 1, Peacock 12, Small Tortoiseshell 2, the first Small Copper of the season x2, and 2 newly emerged Small Heath, they flipped out of the grass and into cover...just managed to get a photo.

Cheers IAC.
IAC

Postby IAC » Sun 24 May 2009 19:44

Hi all,
A beautiful day today in Berwickshire, a wee bit breezy, but who's complaining. Visited the coast today at Burnmouth, primarily to see Small Blue. This would be early for them, however they were there in abundance....good numbers 20+....I must say it took a lot of time to find them eventually...but they seemed to be very healthy , so great news...all that needs to be done is find new colonies on the Berwickshire coast....easier said than done....but I am convinced , not impossible.
4 Wall Brown, once again outwitting the sluggish photographer, very wary insects indeed! 6-10 Small Heath.
6+ Small Copper on Partanhall escarpment...rock rose in full bloom, NBA weeks away now.
Lots of Large White, Small White,GVW AND 1 battle weary Peacock. Tommorow I am looking to Pease Dean...weather permitting.
Cheers IAC.
IAC

Postby IAC » Tue 26 May 2009 12:41

Hi all,
My planned trip to Pease Dean was at the last moment postponed due to cloud cover, however a little further south at Coldingham Bay the sun was shining...so I headed south from Coldingham to Eyemouth on the coastal footpath, checked out a few possible Small Blue sites on the way down with no luck. In all, a reasonable butterfly day though with up to 20 Small White a few GVW, 6-10 Large White 5-6 Small Heath and a few Small Copper at Linkim shore. Stars of the day were the Wall Browns 16-20...easily the largest number of this species I have ever seen here in SE Scotland, this bodes well for the future as it firmly becomes established, at least along the coast. No Painted Lady yet but an influx is very imminent if numbers further south are to be believed, reports from Berwick upon Tweed that 1 Painted Lady on Needle Point headland would suggest that by Friday we will be seeing them from Eyemouth to Aberdeen in numbers....in theory. Clouded Yellow may also have an impact this year so plenty to look out for.
Cheers IAC.
IAC

Postby IAC » Thu 28 May 2009 12:26

Hi all,
2 Painted Lady north and east of Chirnside, flushed from cover yesterday.
Cheers IAC.
IAC

Postby IAC » Fri 29 May 2009 20:28

Hi all,
Today visited Burnmouth and South to the English border, a tremendous day weatherwise and butterflywise..unexpected first thing was around 6-8 Northern Brown Argus flitting around the scree slopes above Burnmouth harbour, a solitary Small Copper and a Wall Brown dogfighting, no contest, but the Small Cop did not have it all his own way today as the Newbie Brown Argus teamed up to equal the odds. Great fun to watch.This NBA colony should reach about 20+..maybe more soon.
Small Blues were the story of the day with over 50 sighted on the seaward slopes, a thumping all time record for this species....it was all you could do not to stand on them in places.....mindblowing!!! Small Heath were showing a little more today with around 20 observed together with a pristine Dark Chocolate Brown and Scarlet Red Admiral. Large Whites were in evidence along with a tatty Small White some GVW skating around the deep deans and a single male Common Blue divebombed and mobbed by the Small Blue hordes. :D

Cheers IAC.
IAC

Postby IAC » Sun 31 May 2009 21:24

Hi all,
This year just gets better and better, lots to see over the past few days, however I now have blisters on my blisters with all the trekking I have been doing....Yesterday the 30th I visited Pipers Knowe Quarry and saw quite a few species including Painted Lady 5, Small Copper 3, Large White 5, Small White 3, Green Veined White 20+, Orange Tip 6, Red Admiral 1, The very first Common Blue of the season at the quarry, and 2 Peacock. Started looking for Large Skipper now...this year I could get lucky, last seen by me in 2007.

Today visited Burnmouth at Partanhall in the afternoon, 2-3 Painted Lady, 1 Wall Brown, 4-6 Small Copper, 12+ Green Veined White and a few Large White, the Northern Brown Argus colony has swelled to about 20 so far....could be a bumper season for these guys. Silver Y,s were evident today 5-6 seen, being harried relentlessly by Small Copper and NBA....GREAT FUN.
Cheers IAC.
IAC

Return to Butterfly News